Sunday, September 6, 2015

Why my perfect set-up wasn't perfect...

So many teachers dedicated their summer time to preparing for the new year to come.  We have the perfect plan and diligently work on making it happen.  But what happens when that perfect plan isn't perfect when the students arrive?  One thing teachers have to fall back on is flexibility.

I am in a new classroom, at a new school and in a new district.  I set up the room with a lot of thought but I couldn't see how the students would use it.  18 bodies definitely change my plan!
This is a panoramic view of my new room.  I loved how the tables were in a straight row.  It was very visually pleasing and tidy...but it didn't work.  I have quite a few students that want to stand with their chair pushed out, or kind of lean on it.  It made it very hard to get around the room.  So we had to fix it.  It's not as visually pleasing but it does function MUCH better. 

Here is the change.  It was one of those changes that had a domino effect.  Other things had to find a new home.  The double sided shelf that holds the students book bins moved over by the mailboxes.  The double sided front loading book shelf had to move over by the library.  Small student chairs and crates were moved.

It wasn't how I wanted it but that's not what's important.  The students are the central reason to make any decisions in the classroom.  Yes, I like it to be pretty.  Yes, I like it to be visually pleasing. But more than anything I want the students to feel comfortable and happy in the space.  So flexibility and letting go of my wishes had to happen.  In the age of Pinterest and blogs, I know so many of us feel the pressure to have the cutest classroom  but make sure it works for your students.


20 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I have 26 2nd graders and I feel like there are bodies or obstacles everywhere despite my goal of designing a clutter free room. Now I feel like there aren't any good places for my students to work together except for the floor or their desks. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the tips mentioned in this article! it’s always good to read things you have looking for antivirus security for your PC and any other digital devices than. Visit@: my sites :- www.office.com/setup | office.com/setup | McAfee.com/ActivateDell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is very helpful and reliable. I am satisfied with your post. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful

    post. Visit@:- Norton.com/setup | Norton.com/myaccount | Norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post! By arranging your stuff properly you got your mind relax. Rinella Prosthetic is giving the best tips to maintain your mind relax and feel better. Do visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the work you have put into your nice blog. pinecrest tutoring We will bookmark to your blog because it is very informational. We love the site and will come back to see your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Sunny Isles Tutoring Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas.Wellington Tutoring I appreciate when I see well written material.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would very much like to agree with the previous commenter! I find this blog really useful for my uni project. Palm Beach Tutoring I hope to add more useful posts later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its wonderful blog really very nice site and blog facility.every title is very nice and very fatastic concept.Boynton Beach Tutoring Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for excellent blog.I'm happy to find useful blog share in my friends. Boca Raton Tutoring THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its wonderful blog really very nice site and blog facility.every title is very nice and very fatastic concept.Bethesda Tutoring Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great inspiring article.Windermere Tutoring I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.Special needs Tutor Westport The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve desired to post about something similar to this on one of my blogs and this has given me an idea. Special needs Tutor Larchmont Cool Mat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This could be one specific with the most beneficial blogs Special needs Tutor Greenwich We have ever arrive across on this subject. Really Wonderful. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot for sharing. Special needs Tutor Greenwich Will check back later for more of your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for give me information on this topic. Special needs tutor Park Slope you have sharing very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Special needs tutor Sag Harbor Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seems like an educational blog which always some new information to visitors Special needs tutor Georgetown and Enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Teachers for Thailand is a teaching agency that specializes in uniting professional educators with teaching positions in Thailand Essentially,our job is to find work for you a job that will fit both your personality and skills.Our company has more than 25 years of experience in education,management and recruitment,allowing us to give you the best service possible.

    ReplyDelete

***