Sunday, January 11, 2015

Math Fact Fluency

In the primary grades, it is so important for students to gain math fluency.  It will help them the rest of their lives.  But some get it quick and others need LOTS of practice throughout the school year and beyond.

One thing that I think promotes fluency and my students just love is our daily math password.  Every day I write a problem on the board and as the students come into the classroom they whisper it in my ear.  Sometimes I help them with the problem by suggesting a strategy (count on).

Another whole group game that excites my students every time is what some call the Snowball Game.  I have my students sit around the carpet facing out with whiteboards on their laps.  When I say "GO!", they grab two snowballs, open and add.  This game has so many uses...and it's FUN!



One other thing that we do to gain fluency with math facts to 20 is practice on our desks with dry erase markers.  The kids are so quiet on the days that we do this which is an added bonus!


 I also  try to use objects and problems that the students might find in the real world.  I want them to see math is important and is useful.



I created a pack of no prep activities to print and use at any time that my students need more practice with fact fluency.  This pack is great for whole-group, independent practice, centers or even homework.  These activities are a fun way to help support all learners.




At the end of the day, I just want my students to go to the grocery store and be able to do mental math and not be the person counting on their fingers!






No comments:

Post a Comment

***