Friday, November 1, 2013

Math: Guided Groups, Games and Resources

I am eternally making improvements to my practices and today I'm going to continue to share how I'm going about that in math.

See my first post on the topic: An Inquiry Into Math Instruction
 
Guided Groups Binder:
http://www.teachertipster.com/CGI_problem_types.pdf
On the front cover I keep a copy of the CGI Math Story Problem Types
 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyFB6bkDkQIazFYYUUzczlrdDg/edit?usp=sharing
The very first page is my personal notes from Math Exchanges.  You can pick them up here.  The book is worth every penny!
 
The inside cover is another copy of the CGI problems and my word problem for the week without the numbers written in.  See below for word problem freebies!
 
Here is a page of my notes from a group.  Kassia says that groups should be Flexible, responsive to specific needs, students interact with all kinds of mathematicians.  So this group was created of different types of mathematicians that I knew needed support with language. So during the retelling of the problem I was really scaffolding their thinking to guided them to the kind of retelling I wanted to hear in the future. You can see that as a teacher I was trying to figure out which strategy they were using.  This kind of note taking is almost like taking a running record to me.  I am figuring out what the student is already successful with and finding areas I can support them in.
 
 
This group was formed as an extension on the fly so I don't have a printed problem.  My goal was to help them understand that Mathematicians try to figure out what they need to do....even if it's tricky.  The problem threw my students for a loop but once they made their initial error they all moved on to try something else, which is another statement we've been working on:  Mathematicians keep trying and persevering.
Here is one way a child solved our tricky problem from above. There's 3 chickens and 2 horses.  How many legs in all?
 
 
This is in the back pocket of my folder along with the articles I posted from before.  It's just a reminder of the phases students go through.  I find that sometimes I want to push them before they are ready so this is my, "Slow down, Jen.  They aren't there yet.  Let them be successful in the phase they are in."
 
 
Here are math story problems for each type of CGI problem that don't have numbers in them (11 in all).  They are great for following Kassia's Math Exchange.  Click on the picture to pick up your copy.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyFB6bkDkQIWnV0NEI5U185WFE/edit?usp=sharing
 
Now onto Games!  Really just one game that we play with many different focuses.  It's very simple.  
 
Right now my class is calling this game BOO! because of the holiday.  At different times during the year I change it to relate to the time of year or a topic we are learning about.
 
-Print out numbers on a page like I did above.  Depending on where you are within your standards you could print 0-10 or 0-20.  Print multiple copies to make a TON!
-Cut out the boxes and have the kids help you crumble them all up.
-The kids sit in a circle facing out.  I usually have mine sitting with their white board, marker and eraser for a place to work and solve.
-Spread out the crumbles in the middle of the circle.
-Yell BOO!, the kids will grab some crumbles are begin to solve.
-After they solve the problem on their boards they hold it up.  I use this game as a formative assessment.

There are many, many uses for this game!  Last week they added 3 addends (so they grabbed three crumbles), commutative property, add doubles (grab one and double), and doubles plus one (grab one and add the next number higher). You could also use it for count on, count back, fact families, etc.

Here are some pictures of the game:
Here is the set up.
 
This is when I yelled BOO! 

 Here is the day we did commutative property.  They grabbed two and added.  Then switched the addends and solved again.

Here is the day we were working on Count on.

When they are done they lift them up so I can check them.
 
Here is a copy of the game with a more general theme of Fall:  Go Nuts!  For this game you will yell out GO NUTS!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyFB6bkDkQIUVJGNGt5NFFhTjA/edit?usp=sharing
 
 
 
Resources:
(also on the board are my Math Vocab cards)
Here are my TPT must haves for math-
 
 
 
 
 
 
And more anchor charts :)
 

 


I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Jen
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. I also included anchor charts from all the amazing teachers that post them to p interest. I tried to label where I got it from underneath the chart. store cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should there be an alternate enticing post you can impart next time, I'll be without a doubt sitting tight for it.meeting room software

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed I am that I am reading this blessed document these days. I really assumed that the very best of the articles stopped arriving. However immediately after looking over this, my belief rises again!custom t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pilot rolex uk with anti-magnetic, seismic and replica watches uk has a clear and easy to read the luminous coating. Designed uk replica watches like an aircraft dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. show off a sophisticated taste in wine by displaying the corks on the wall. Some may not want to cover the corks with papers or photos, instead using the board as an art piece.book cover design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.best book covers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.tucson exterminating

    ReplyDelete
  8. ats enjoy getting into any and all small spaces. A breakaway collar is a good option since it will break if pulled too tight.Limo Rental Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  9. This can be well-articulated, sharpened, and also aim. Precisely what important lessons have you found out that an individual applied to this post. Looking forward to go through your experience. Where have you came your own bottom line?Limo Rental Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website.Limo Rental Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might comment on the personal credibility of the blog. You should index it's marvelous. Your blog feelings should accelerate your colleagues.vintage clothing stores online cheap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eggs with the writers Robin Amos Kahn and Gary Richards and director Matthew Penn to discuss the upcoming production, what inspired it and why does Meredith Vieira care?real estate calgary

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. But humor seemed to always keep us sane, and our connections to each other also really helped.guelph real estate

    ReplyDelete
  15. This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back.executive coaching

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing.executive coaching

    ReplyDelete

***