Thursday, February 9, 2012

Posing a question for YOU!

This evening I was reading To Understand by Ellin Oliver Keene.  The literacy group at our school is doing a book talk with it tomorrow {I procrastinated}.  Ellin kept on referring to the term fervent in reference to our students reading. Getting students to be zealously engaged in a text...that got me thinking.  Do I see that everyday from every kid?  I don't and it bummed me out.

A quote from Ellin, "Teachers can help children realize that when they are fervent, when they choose to engage so deeply that the world around them disappears, the concepts they're struggling to understand become more clear, the texts they read become more multifaceted--in other words, they experience the outcomes of understanding, and the world, not just the classroom, becomes a more comprehensible place."

Now a common theme you may see through my posts is that the clock is a tickin'!  My reading workshop and our revised curriculum maps have aloud me to go deeper into comprehension strategies with some leeway BUT I still feel crushed under the clock.  That leads me to do as many teachers do and design the day in a way that students might not touch a book they CANNOT put down.  I hope for it and a lot of them do but the struggling students' time is controlled in a different way.

So this is where I am turning to you and your expertise as a teacher and learner....watch the video and post your response.  (I haven't finished reading To Understand and I'm sure she gets to answering my questions but I still have a curiosity to hear what my counterparts are doing.)

I cannot wait to hear your feedback!  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with the Daily 5/CAFE. My students especially love Read to Someone where they get to share books with their friends. I often will check out sets of books so that two friends can read it at the same time. I also started Literature Circles this quarter, but b/c I am in second they couldn't be too complex so I simplified it some. One day my kiddos who were reading a Magic Tree House book got to the same part at about the same time during Read to Self and started jumping up and down and cheering for Jack and Annie. It was magic! I also read out loud to my kids EVERY day and try to get them interested in specific authors. Once I read a book out loud it becomes like gold in our classroom and they are fighting over who gets to read it next.

    Sorry for the long comment, didn't mean for it to be that long but I am now interested in reading Ellin Oliver Keene's book. I haven't heard of her, thanks.

    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your readers got excited enough to stand up and cheer! Those are best moments in the classroom. Your point about the read alouds gave me a great big reminder...I do that. It's the learners who struggle getting past a level C. The books rarely have a relatable story. I need to remember that my read alouds count too :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

***